About Us

Hattiesburg, MS, United States
We are a really average family that just can't get over that we have been adopted by an extraordinary God! We are excited and expectant as the journey to enlarge our family unfolds before us.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feeling like we have our feet planted in mid-air!!!!

I resolved at the beginning of this journey that I was going to be transparent. So, here goes. There are a lot of mixed emotions around here today. On the one hand, we are really thrilled that the process is moving along. At noon today, we met with the Inspector and her boss (I didn't get his title), and we received the Inspector's final determination. This piece of paperwork is now on it's way to Kyiv to be submitted tomorrow to the SDA. They will have several days to process it and send back the official paperwork that we will need to have the court hearing. We have a tentative court hearing scheduled for next Thursday. If all goes well we will then get custody of N on Feb. 23rd.

On the other hand, we had our first visit with N without an interpreter today. I have to admit that the gravity of traveling 18 hours by plane with a hyperactive (and fairly disobedient) child who cannot understand a word we say is becoming a bit of a giant. We are trying really hard to stay positive and focus on all the doors God has opened to get us here as a source of confidence. In the grand scheme of things, we are really early on in the process to be discouraged. We know that we are being held up by our great God on the prayers of many, many of His people on our behalf.

I don't want to whine, but honestly, we are asking God for something tangible. A little progress. Just something that we can see that will tell us that he will be okay and that we will be okay with him. I apologize for my little rant of truthfulness, but in reality, this blog has become a lifeline for us to home. Back to the people and church we love. This adoption stuff is messy. It's not a pollyana fairly tale, and we never expected that it would be. I keep telling myself that the extent Jesus went to to come after me makes our discomfort or uneasiness pale in comparison.

I also don't want this to come off more dark than it is. We are okay. The ship sin't sinking. It isn't even tossing all that much. We just need to hear that still small voice of the Father again tonight, and feel a little comforting hug! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...

Rick

5 comments:

Janice Gundy said...

I am praying for you all! I can totally relate to the title phrase of this current blog. Buddy & I have often used it to describe various situations in our life. The biggest struggle for me is the reality of how hard things are and the truth that we know God is in control. If it is any encouragement to know that you are not alone... be encouraged! Your transparency has been a blessing to me this morning. PRAYERS & Love are with you!!!

JoyK said...

Hey Rick and Denise,

I've been reading your posts everyday. I am praying for yall everyday. Remember, "The will of God will never take you where the grace of God cannot keep you."

Joy G.
joyfulmsgirl.blogspot.com

Ronnie said...

I've been following your blogs daily, although I just figured out how to comment (techno-illiterate).
Thanks for being transparent and real. We will step up our prayers for you - specifically that God will give you clear confirmation and strength. We think about you guys often, always aware that you are 8 hrs ahead of us.

Leah and Pavel said...

I check your blog more than I want to check my facebook! Know that we are praying, we love you, and love that you are transparent...how else are we supposed to know how to pray more specifically? Thank you for just being you.

Leslie said...

Praying!!